Molly's features a small but strong selection of rock, soul, jazz and international LPs. We also carry soul and rock 45s, all well organized for easy browsing , along with a limited selection of CDs. All records and CDs are researched and inspected carefully and priced accordingly. We've gained a reputation for fair prices and great quality. Check out our $2 bins in front of the store for great bargains!
"Platterhead" Joe Ankenbrand curates the record department of the shop. A vinyl enthusiast since 1964, Joe has been haunting record stores in Philadelphia and other cities for close to fifty years. He has relished the opportunity to apply his experience as a customer to create a place where he would love to shop.
Joe has also been drumming in Philly punk and rock bands since the late '70s, and currently plays in Dixy Blood, a continuation of the Sickidz tradition. He recently retired from a 25 year practice in the alternative health field.
SELL US YOUR RECORDS
We are always interested in buying records, especially LP's. However we cannot buy everything! The following are the types of records we are always interested in buying:
- Classic and New Wave/Punk Rock (Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Talking Heads)
- Soul, Funk and R& B (James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, for instance)
- Modern Jazz (Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, etc.)
- Blues (Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, Buddy Guy, and the likes)
- Reggae (Bob Marley, Wailers, Gregory Isaacs, et. al)
We also have some interest in records in the following categories:
- Country LP's made before 1970 (Patsy Cline, Hank Williams)
- Folk records from a select few artists from the 50's and 60's
- Soundtracks from movies, especially those with Rock or Jazz bands
- Spoken Word, especially poetry
- Jazz vocalists (Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald)
- Latin records (Brazil or other South American Countries)
- International LP's from India or Africa
- Hip Hop, Rap and DJ Music
45's and 78's
45 RPM (small records with big hole) not in any type of sleeve are probably not worth more than a few cents each. We only buy select 45 RPM records, mostly Soul and Rock records from the 60's. Exceptions are Punk and Hardcore 45's from the late 70's and early 80's.
78 RPM (heavy 10" records with small hole) are only of interest if they are Blues, Hillbilly, Rock and Roll, or Gospel records.
WE DO NOT BUY: Big Band Jazz, Easy Listening (Montovani, Ray Coniff, etc), String Band, Broadway Shows, Pop vocalists (Tom Jones, Kenny Rogers, etc.), Comedy
THE CONDITION OF YOUR RECORDS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!
Please examine the records you would like to sell; records that have no covers, or covers that are badly torn, moldy, have water damage or excessive writing are not acceptable. Records that are warped or heavily scratched are also not acceptable; light scratches that can't be felt are OK, but diminish the value.
Most importantly, if you have questions, please ask, or bring in a sample of what you have. We love records, and talking about records, and want you to feel comfortable selling us your records in a friendly environment. We will make house calls if you have a large collection, or if you have no way to bring them to us.
THE A (to Z ) List of Rock
We pay top dollar for records by these Rock artists in excellent condition:
- The Band
- Beach Boys (1960's)
- Beatles (also some solo LP's by Beatles)
- Captain Beefheart
- David Bowie (1970's)
- Bob Dylan
- Fleetwood Mac
- Grateful Dead
- Jimi Hendrix
- King Crimson
- Led Zeppelin
- Van Morrison (60's and 70's)
- Pink Floyd
- Rolling Stones
- Bruce Springsteen
- Velvet Underground
- Who (60's)
- Neil Young
- Frank Zappa (solo, and with the Mothers of Invention)
There are also many other rock artists we buy as well, in fact the more obscure the better!